Welcome to Petit Minou en Bretagne



I moved to this lovely part of Brittany at the end of the summer in 2008 with my husband and my two daughters

We have two holiday gites and hope to have lots of visitors in the years to come

Life here is slower than it used to be in England but my days are so much busier - looking after our two Ouessant sheep, our chickens, geese, ducks and seven cats; trying out new recipes using our freshly grown veggies, trying to keep up with the weeding and the the garden and keeping the gites in tip top condition ready for our visitors

If I have any spare time I make handmade greetings cards and gifts and have just opened an Etsy shop - visit it here

I also enjoy taking photographs and have recently joined Flickr so hopefully I will post some of my shots on here too

This is intended to be my blog about our new life here in Brittany - I really must try to make time for regular updates but seem to be failing miserably


About Me

My photo
Fougeres, Bretagne, France

Follow me on Twitter

Follow twittouminou on Twitter

Sunday 12 July 2009

L'Anse du Guesclin


Posted by Picasa
The Fort du Guesclin is built on an island, accessible at low tide, in Saint-Coulomb in Ille-et-Vilaine (Brittany), between Saint-Malo and Cancale


The first building was built in 1026 by the constable of Guesclin

In 1207 John Lackland, king of England, occupied the fort until Juhel III de Mayenne drove out the British after a bloody battle

The fort was dismantled in 1500 and bought by William of Châteaubriant and resold in 1589 to the Maison de Rieux

Finally, from 1757 to 1759 the old building was demolished and a new fort was built by Vauban with barracks and canons to protect the coast from the English


Having lost its military use in 1826 the Fort was sold at private auction and then transformed into holiday residences

In 1942 during the establishment of the Atlantic Wall, it was occupied by the German army who installed anti-aircraft guns

After 'D'Day in 1944, the fort returned to civilian hands, initially it was owed by the mayor of Saint Servan who then sold it in 1959 to singer Léo Ferré who lived there until 1968

Over the next 20 years it fell into disrepair but in 1996 it was purchased by the Ferres Porcher family who restored it to it's present state

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting, I'd love to hear your comments